Florida Trial Attorneys                          


Timothy Nies

Christian Van Riper

"We place a premium on open communications with our clients and hard work..."

Van Riper and Nies Attorneys represent landlords and tenants in eviction proceedings. 
An eviction is a legal process by which a landlord regains possession of a leased house, apartment, condo or other real property from a tenant or occupant. The eviction process is not as simple as online eviction services seem to suggest. Because eviction of tenants is a serious matter, where residents will be put out of their home, the process of evicting a tenant involves specific deadlines and procedural rules that both landlords and tenants must comply with. Failing to follow the deadlines and procedural rules will likely lead to an unfavorable result and payment of attorneys fees to your tenant, which may run into thousands of dollars.    

Landlord Representation:

If you are a landlord who needs to evict a tenant, whether for non-payment of rent, breach of the lease agreement, or for unauthorized occupants, our attorneys can help you for a very reasonable fee, so that you may reclaim your property quickly. We understand that you cannot wait for an extended period of time to reclaim your property, whether to re-lease it, sell it or otherwise. We will work quickly to reclaim your property. 

Tenant Representation:

Tenants also have rights under Florida law. Only a judge can order a tenant evicted, and only the Sheriff can put a tenant out of his or her home. Florida law does not permit a landlord to force a tenant out of
his or her home by shutting off or interrupting utilities, even if it is in the landlord's name; changing door locks, or removing the tenant's personal property. In representing tenants, we make sure that landlords comply with Florida law. That is our job. Our attorneys review lease agreements and notices from landlords to ensure that the eviction complies with Florida Landlord-Tenant law. If your landlord fails to do what the law requires, or comply with the lease agreement, we may be able to extend the time constraints or have your landlord's eviction complaint dismissed. 

The trial attorneys at our firm have a comprehensive understanding and background in all aspects of landlord-tenant law.  

For more information about our trial practice and for a free consultation, please call us day or night, complete the contact form below, or e-mail us at


Palm Beach County:
801 Northpoint Parkway
Suite 375
West Palm Beach, FL 33407

 Martin County:
900 SE Ocean Boulevard
Suite 140-E
Stuart, FL 34994



Broward County:
10 Fairway Drive
Deerfield Beach, FL 33441 


South Palm Beach County:
55 SE 2nd Avenue
Delray Beach, FL 33444

Contact our Eviction Attorneys

Please complete the form below. Our attorneys check their mail day and night and will contact you shortly..

Security Code: *  
First Name:
Last Name:
Suite No.:
Zip Code: (5 digits)
City where the
Property is
How Can We
Help You?":

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you full written information about our qualifications and experience. Please note that you are not considered a client until you have signed a retainer agreement and your case has been accepted by us in writing. An attorney client relationship is not established by submitting an email or a form from this website.

Our Stuart, FL landlord-tenant attorneys represent landlords and tenants in residential eviction proceedings in Martin County, Florida. Stuart, FL eviction attorneys. Martin County, FL eviction attorneys. Florida law on eviction proceedings. How to evict a tenant for non-payment of rent.  Attorneys in Hobe Sound to handle eviction case. Landlord - tenant lawyers in Stuart, FL. Property attorneys in Stuart, Florida. Guidelines for residential evictions. How to evict a tenant for not paying rent. Eviction process to remove a tenant in Florida. Eviction lawyers in Florida. Van Riper and Nies Helps Accident Victims in Port St Lucie, Stuart and throughout Palm Beach county.

Our Martin county attorneys represent landlords in eviction proceedings, as well as tenants. Under Florida law, a property owner is not permitted to remove a tenant from a house, apartment or condominium without first obtaining a judgment for possession from a court. It is illegal in Florida to change locks, shut off utilities (such as water or electric, even if in the landlord's name) or remove the tenant's property without first obtaining the judgment for possession. In Florida, a landlord must first serve a notice on the tenant. In Florida, upon service, the tenant has 3 days (not including Saturday, Sunday and holidays) to provide full payment of rent or vacate the premises. If the rent payment is paid, in full, the landlord cannot proceed with the eviction proceedings. Eviction laws in Florida. During an eviction process, there are guidelines and rules that both the landlord and tenant must follow. These laws fall under Section 83 of the Florida statutes. Florida's landlord - tenant law provides the specific details of how to evict a tenant and the responsibilities of both the landlord and tenant. Our Florida lawyers are familiar with landlord tenant law. Legal grounds in Florida to evict a tenant, include not paying rent, the expiration of the lease, violations of the lease, among others. Our Stuart FL eviction attorneys help landlords in reclaiming their property through an eviction proceeding. Port St. Lucie Evictions.

Eviction defense attorneys in Stuart, FL. Reclaiming rental property in Florida. Eviction defense lawyers in Stuart, FL. Directly of landlord - tenant law firms in Martin County, FL. Landlord/tenant law in Florida provides legal recourse for the tenant in eviction proceedings. The renter, in Florida, has five days (not including weekends and holidays) to answer and defend an eviction complaint. If the tenant answers the complaint, the landlord has five days to schedule an expedited hearing before a Martin county judge. If the tenant, in an eviction proceeding in Florida, does not answer the complaint, the landlord can file a motion for default and proceed with obtaining a final judgment for possession and a writ of possession. This document will allow the landlord to assume possession of the property.  Inexpensive eviction lawyer in Florida. How to file an eviction complaint. How to evict a tenant in Stuart, FL.  Stuart Attorneys: Van Riper and Nies home.

Our Stuart FL lawyers handle all landlord-tenant disputes. Eviction rights in Florida. Three day notice to pay rent or vacate the property form. Florida eviction complaint form. Eviction forms.  Eviction summons. Our attorneys handle an appeal of an eviction. Florida lawyers - eviction defenses. What are the Florida eviction laws. Florida eviction guide. free advice on evictions. Under what circumstances may I evict my tenant  is a typical question our attorneys hear. Our landlord-tenant lawyers are experienced with eviction proceedings. In Florida, the landlord must state the reason for the eviction in the court papers (complaint). It is illegal for a landlord to deduct legal fees and court costs from a security deposit; however, the court may order the tenant to pay the court costs for the eviction - but this must come from the tenant and not the security deposit. Eviction lawyers in Stuart, FL. Eviction attorneys in Port St. Lucie, FL.  Landlord tenant lawyers in Stuart, FL.

83.58  Remedies; tenant holding over.--If the tenant holds over and continues in possession of the dwelling unit or any part thereof after the expiration of the rental agreement without the permission of the landlord, the landlord may recover possession of the dwelling unit in the manner provided for in s. 83.59 [F.S. 1973]. The landlord may also recover double the amount of rent due on the dwelling unit, or any part thereof, for the period during which the tenant refuses to surrender possession.

83.59  Right of action for possession.--

(1)  If the rental agreement is terminated and the tenant does not vacate the premises, the landlord may recover possession of the dwelling unit as provided in this section.

(2)  A landlord, the landlord's attorney, or the landlord's agent, applying for the removal of a tenant shall file in the county court of the county where the premises are situated a complaint describing the dwelling unit and stating the facts that authorize its recovery. A landlord's agent is not permitted to take any action other than the initial filing of the complaint, unless the landlord's agent is an attorney. The landlord is entitled to the summary procedure provided in s. 51.011 [F.S. 1971], and the court shall advance the cause on the calendar.

(3)  The landlord shall not recover possession of a dwelling unit except:

(a)  In an action for possession under subsection (2) or other civil action in which the issue of right of possession is determined;

(b)  When the tenant has surrendered possession of the dwelling unit to the landlord; or

(c)  When the tenant has abandoned the dwelling unit. In the absence of actual knowledge of abandonment, it shall be presumed that the tenant has abandoned the dwelling unit if he or she is absent from the premises for a period of time equal to one-half the time for periodic rental payments. However, this presumption shall not apply if the rent is current or the tenant has notified the landlord, in writing, of an intended absence.

(4)  The prevailing party is entitled to have judgment for costs and execution therefor.


83.595  Choice of remedies upon breach by tenant.--

(1)  If the tenant breaches the lease for the dwelling unit and the landlord has obtained a writ of possession, or the tenant has surrendered possession of the dwelling unit to the landlord, or the tenant has abandoned the dwelling unit, the landlord may:

(a)  Treat the lease as terminated and retake possession for his or her own account, thereby terminating any further liability of the tenant; or

(b)  Retake possession of the dwelling unit for the account of the tenant, holding the tenant liable for the difference between rental stipulated to be paid under the lease agreement and what, in good faith, the landlord is able to recover from a reletting; or

(c)  Stand by and do nothing, holding the lessee liable for the rent as it comes due.

(2)  If the landlord retakes possession of the dwelling unit for the account of the tenant, the landlord has a duty to exercise good faith in attempting to relet the premises, and any rentals received by the landlord as a result of the reletting shall be deducted from the balance of rent due from the tenant. For purposes of this section, "good faith in attempting to relet the premises" means that the landlord shall use at least the same efforts to relet the premises as were used in the initial rental or at least the same efforts as the landlord uses in attempting to lease other similar rental units but does not require the landlord to give a preference in leasing the premises over other vacant dwelling units that the landlord owns or has the responsibility to rent.

West Palm Beach Eviction lawyers. Palm Beach Gardens, FL landlord-tenant law. Stuart, FL personal injury attorneys: Van Riper and Nies